You know what I love about living in the great state of Utah? We are all about taking something good and making it better. Case in point - the proposed revisions to the Utah Secondary Mathematics standards. According to the Utah State Board of Education, "the secondary math core standards have been revised based on five areas approved by the Utah State Board of Education:
- Revise and align the Precalculus and Secondary I Honors, II Honors, and III Honors standards so that all students completing either pathway have met the same standards.
- Revise and align the Statistics and Probability standards across secondary courses (grades 7-12).
- Consider moving some of the standards in Secondary II to other courses.
- Revise ambiguous standards so that the depth of intended proficiency is clear.
- Cross-reference the high school standards with the courses in which they are taught.
The drafts of these revisions were released to the public on May 8 for a 90-day public review. You can find the drafts here. I took some time earlier this week to review the revisions to the 8th grade standards and I'm generally very please with the clarifications. The revisions seemed very logical to me. I also submitted a suggestion for another clarification that I would to see in the revisions to the 8th grade core. If you haven't yet taken the time to look at the revisions, please do so now! This is your chance to submit feedback about the core standards!